Monday, May 19, 2008

Returning to Erl

Finally, Alveric and I arrived in the Land of Erl and after much preparation a grand and wonderous wedding was held. My dress was an exotic concoction of watery silk with a shadowy rose pattern but enough of feminine details. Alveric soon after decided to share the photos of our celebration with all the people beyond Erl and so once again I find myself in a humble building called a library. Alveric again waved his hand in the direction of an available computer with the encouraging words of "you can do it" and not much other assistance. Well, you know men and so do I. So I decided learn about the magics of man for myself.

Magic in the Land of Erl apparently goes by the name technology. As magic comes naturally to elves, with innate confidence, I sat down in front of one of the computers and clasped the magic stone gently in my hand the way Alveric had shown me. Suddenly, my elvish confidence ebbed. I felt out of sorts. Elves simply chant a rune or communicate telepathically. Magic is something you simply have or do not have. Out of habit, I placed my hand upon the screen and commanded it to reveal its technology secrets. Instead of magical knowledge, I received a slight electric fizzle that ran up my wrist followed by a biting metallic taste on my tongue. I felt an overwhelming urge to kick the thing. I stood up to have enough leverage to do so.

That is when I noticed not all the people from the Land of Erl were happily engaged with the computer as Alveric was. He again was humming a cheery tune and plugging tiny sticks into the front of the computer. Other people of Erl were grimacing and swearing under their breaths. Some were periodically yelling across the room for assistance from some oddly dressed people known as librarians. I had already figured out that many people believe you are supposed to be quiet in a library but that not all people thought that was necessary. Deciding to do as people in Erl do, I gestured to one of the librarians to assist me as well. He gently reminded me that if you don't know where to begin that google or yahoo were both good choices. So on to google to discover some technology.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It must be great going on all your exciting adventures and you know magic too. Look forward to hearing about your next adventure with the computer. I am also discovering new things with the computer, but I sure wish I could learn magic.