Sunday, May 18, 2008

Alveric comes to the Elvin Mountains

One day, a mortal came to the enchanted wood. He bore a magical sword made of metals not sprung from earth and given to him by a lonely witch. The sword was strengthend by the witch's runes and so it came to pass that the mortal defeated elven guards with such a sword and was able to arrive unharmed on the emerald lawns of the Elf King's home. It was there I chanced upon him and he told me a tale of twenty three tasks his father had set upon him. Learning, his father believed, was a lifelong pursuit and involved slightly more than seven habits. Each habit seemed to make a practical sense to me and as I was fascinated with the ways of a non-elf, I tarried overlong with Alveric, came to admire his fortitude and fell in love. Here are the seven and a half habits as Alveric relayed them to me:

1.Begin with the end in mind.
2. Accept responsibility for your own learning.
3. View problems as challenges
4. Have confidence in yourself as an effective learner.
5. Create your own learning tool box.
6. Use technology to your advantage.
7. Teach/Mentor others
7.5 Play!

The first habit he was given was my downfall. Alveric was determined to accomplish his father's goal of marrying the daughter of the King of Elfland. As he was quite brave and handsome, I was swept up in his enthusiasm. Perhaps I should acknowledge that I wished to learn of the ways of man and also was fascinated by this quest of twenty three things. Long had I lived in the Elvin mountains and wished to know of the world beyond our emerald lawns.

As I am an elf, confidence comes naturally to me. I must admit it was a rash decision to leave with Alveric and so perhaps my confidence will be tested. As I chose to leave the land of the Elves in an emotion of restlessness, I journeyed swiftly through the enchanted woods and left behind all the magic I knew and would need to learn new things. Alveric promised to teach me these magics known to man as technology. I had intended to teach men the ways of Elves in exchange. Though at the time little did I know the extent of this challenge. As travelling to the land of man was my first adventure beyond the walls of my father's palace, I intended to savor every new experience with the heart of a child.

So here begins the tale of my journey into the lands you know as Earth.

No comments: