Sunday, June 22, 2008

Renounce all things pertaining to Elfland

When Alveric and I wed, the priest demanded I renounce all things pertaining to Elfland. I am now uncertain if I understood what he was asking and if I am even able to comply with such a demand. But for the love of Alveric, I swore to do so.

Alveric is vexed by what he calls my wild fancies from over the border of Elfland. He claims he is a reasonable man but that I do not want human reason. I cannot seem to grasp the realities of the Land of Erl. I attempted to practice the religion of man and managed to vex Alveric again.

Alveric wished me to be guided by old customs of man. He found me praying in the center of a stone circle. I was worshipping the land and the trees. My prayers were heartfelt and my intentions genuine. Alveric saw only pagan worship and was horrified. He reminded me of the Priest’s belief that all who dwelt in Elfland were beyond salvation. I have lived all my days in Elfland without sadness, discontentment, or unease. I do not understand Alveric’s distress. I do not understand what I am doing wrong. Life is a joy to be savored. The wonders of the Land of Erl are to be appreciated and worshipped. I have watched with wonder the pale beauty of bluebells scattering the fields of Erl and the darkening curves of the eastern hills at twilight. But more than all things that I had seen since I came to these fields, I wondered at the stars. But this is not enough for Alveric. He wishes me to be reasonable in all other things.

Alveric did not wish me to give our son an elvish name. He again wanted me to be reasonable. No man, woman or child in the Land of Erl could pronounce an elvish name full of wonder and made of syllables like bird’s cries at night. I defied all the jealous spirits of air and offered all my baby’s days to that belted hunter, Orion. And in this I worshipped the stars.

Time has passed in the land of Erl. Orion, our son, is a sturdy toddler. And I should be content. Yet still the magic of Elfland clings to me.

No comments: